Minutes – SRAM NDCXL meeting 12 October 2011

SRAM Notts & Derby Cyclo-cross League committee meeting

Wednesday 12 October 2011 8pm at the Brewery Tap, Derby



Karen Lifford, John Holmes, Lee Shunburne, Richard Shenton, Pete Reilly, Neil Mansfield, Steve Hand, Julian Gould, Andrew Willett, Graham Snodden, Ian Elsmore, Sarah Naylor, Andrew Naylor, Jim Crew, Steve Boon, Chris Willett, Peter Turner, Mac Lambert, Louise Kirkham, Harry Gould, Gavin Hardwicke, Ian Gascoigne, Adrian Water, Justin Waters, Roland Sutton and Mary Gill.

  1. Apologies
    Ricky Wildman and Steve Crapper.

  2. Minutes of the previous meeting
    Held Wednesday 7th September 2011 were read and approved.
    Proposed: John Holmes (JH), seconded: Lee Shunburne (LS) – Carried.

  3. Matters arising
    Pete Reilly to enquire after a contact who may be willing to fix the league trailer.
    Graham Snodden (GS) offered SRAM update – various League items have been lost or delayed in shipping.
    All other matters arising complete.

  4. Chairman’s report
    Noted increased participation, Seniors in particular.
    Geoff Brightmore, photographer, says that he is unlikely to make League events this season.

  5. Secretary’s report
    With thanks to Steve Crapper a LinkedIn group has been added to the League website.

  6. Treasurer’s report
    Three races in and no race levies have been received.
    Membership currently runs at 20 private members, 15 promoting clubs, 12 non-promoting clubs.
    SRAM’s cheque has been received.

  7. Race reviews
    – 10 September 2011 – Team Empella – Hilton Fields Farm
    New venue, very testing. Massive numbers. Problems with U12s riding U9s course. Rider injured – broken shoulder. Problems with unsupervised youngsters causing problems around course.
    – 17 September 2011 – Asfield RC – Southglade Park
    Another new venue. Excellent venuefacilities. Needed more help with course set up. High winds made tape difficult – organisers should note that tape placed half way down the post is very effective in windy conditions.
    – 24 September 2011 – Zepnat RT – Thornbridge
    Challenging use of existing conditions. Problems with start for U9U12 owing to last minute course changes.
    – 1 October 2011 – South Pennine RC – Allestree Park
    199 riders in senior race – senior lap length 3.8km. Very hot and very fast. U12 lap too short.
    – 8 October 2011 – Heanor Clarion CC – Shipley Park
    Ian Gascoigne thanked the Heanor team. The U12 required modification to lengthen. Races passed off well.

  8. Lap timing system update
    Positive feedback received regarding the lap splits, etc. Sarah Naylor (SN) is still working on a few glitches. More volunteers required to input data at race signing on.
    Karen Lifford (KL) reported that other systems were being looked at elsewhere including the MyLaps system (£20k+), Black Sheep System at West Mids. It is possible that SRAM would financially support the project, and that external funding could be raised, eg. Sport England. The project is on going.

  9. League presentation evening
    Jim Crew has volunteered Derby Mercury RC to organise again. Mick Perrin has offered to assist. Check availability for 2nd or 9th March 2012.

  10. Women’s starting arrangements
    SN informed the meeting that a small number of women are abusing the start box rules.
    ACTION: SN to canvas opinion of female riders.

  11. Sponsorship update
    Covered in Matters arising.

  12. Under 9s12s event arrangements
    The meeting discussed U12U9 start arrangements at length. GS will act as Start Official or appoint deputy if necessary.
    Proposal one was amended, proposed by GS, seconded by Neil Mansfield – carried by majority vote.
    Proposal 1 – Grid start by Age
    Section off the clearly marked start area to prevent the riders congregating in the general area until a pre-determined time.
    Start Official to call up the riders (whistle or other clear method), then proceed to allow the riders to line up by year of birth (as opposed to age on day of race). An appropriate small gap can be left between each category if deemed appropriate by the Start Official.
    ACTION: Mary Gill to put the information on the League website, forum, Facebook and Twitter.

  13. Any other business
    GS co-opted onto the League committee.
    Russell Cox suggested that the Youth start should be gridded Box 1 for U16s and Box 2 for U14s.
    Adrian Waters needs tape.
    Karen Lifford mentioned dates for training courses.
    The League will not invoke Rule 6.5 for 201112 season – carried by majority vote.

  14. Date of next meeting
    7th December 2012