Message from Karen Lifford:
The number of organisers, venues and events for British Cycling offroad disciplines has been reducing over time whilst the demand from riders is increasing. The aim of the workshop is to encourage the creation of new events and support the retention and development of existing events and will be particularly relevant to
• existing organisers – wanting to share knowledge and experience and consider how they can develop their event
• new organisers – who want help and advice to understand what is involved in making an event happen
• Cyclo-cross and MTB XC Commissaires
The workshop content will cover a wide range of topics such as
• Planning your event
• Risk management of the event and the course
• Recruiting and managing volunteers
• Changes to BC regulations
Online bookings for the workshop are open now the workshop is free and a light lunch will be included for all those who have booked a place, use the ticket link in this event.
One of the outcomes of this workshop will also be the development of a regional offroad workgroup whose role will be to provide support to the CX and MTB disciplines in a number of ways and ensure that there is
• improved calendar co-ordination, including the approval of Regional Championship organiser and venue
• shared experience, knowledge, opportunities and ideas across the leagues and disciplines
• a support network for active volunteers within the discipline who have roles in clubs and leagues, officiate at events and coach riders
• support and advice available to regional staff, coaches and event organisers to enable them to maximise the opportunities for offroad participants
• active discipline representation on the regional board which also enables communication of concerns and suggestions to a national level via Discipline and Regional Commissions
What exactly the group does, the way the it works and how it develops will be determined by the group and the members.
If you are interested in attending the workshop or being involved with the regional workgroup but want to know more before booking then please get in touch, and feel free to circulate to anyone else who you think may also be interested in getting involved.
Regional Events Officer